Sunday, November 13, 2011

My Community Service of Choice

Hi All,

This past Sunday, I participated in the first community service activity I have done in a very long time. I have been meaning to start doing regular community service work but have just now gotten around to starting it. This volunteer event was a Habitat for Humanity deconstruction project. There is a very nice house in Upper Arlington that is about to be torn down (probably to build a bigger and better house). The owner allowed Habitate for Humanity to come in and salvage doors, windowns, fixtures, cabinets, a furnace and whole truck load of very nice material from the house. This material will go the HFH Columbus ReStore (R), where it will be sold. The money made from sells at the ReStore (R) help to cover administrative cost associated with the services they provide the community. It is very interesting how it all works out.
It was very easy to get started as a volunteer. I just registered at their online volunteers hub and I was able to start signing up for volunteer opportunities immediately. Althought, there is an volunteers orientation they want you to complete as soon as you can. They have a variety of different ways you can help (deconstruction, contruction, retail, clerical work...and the list goes on). It is very convenient because you can sign up online, get email notification and reminders.
The deconstruction project I helped with was a great experience. I met some nice folks and learned how to salvage doors and windowns. I will definitly continue to volunteer for the Habitat for Humanity organzation.Maybe, I'll drag my boyfriend out to the next one :) If you are interested in volunteering, just visit their website to learn more and get started. Maybe, I'll see you at an event soon. www.habitatcolumbus.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment